Breakfast is probably the most important meal of the day so here are 5 tips to help you start your day in the best possible way.
1. Water. By far the most important. During the night your body loses water, and as a result we wake up less hydrated than when we went to bed. The first thing most people do when they wake up is grab a morning coffee which can lead to even greater fluid loss as it works as a diuretic. I recommend starting everyday with a big glass of water!
2. Eggs. Naturally high in protein and important nutrients like omega-3. Eggs are particularly good at keeping us full and satisfied for long periods as it keeps blood sugars stable. Add a slice of wholegrain toast and some tomato and mushrooms for even more nutrients!
3. Rolled oats. Another great option that will keep you sustained right throughout the morning. Rolled oats are high in soluble fiber which has been shown to reduce cholesterol, reduce the risk of bowel cancer and the risk of diabetes. Because the grain is intact almost all of the nutrients are available to be used by your body.
4. Fresh fruit. Adding a serve of fresh fruit to your breakfast routine can be extremely valuable to your health. Fruit tastes great with most breakfast cereals and will add even more fiber to keep you regular. 1 serve of fresh fruit is roughly the size of your fist.
5. Green juice. If you have some extra time then supplement your breakfast with a green juice. Ingredients like kale and spinach are packed full of antioxidants which help ward off disease. Adding flaxseeds and chia seeds will also provide beneficial omega-3 which helps to reduce inflammation in the body.